Sunday, February 1, 2015

You'll fill up on bread!

So, I'm just gonna let you all know (if you didn't already) that I'm a bit of a geek.

Ok, ok so A LOT of a geek. I still collect toys and I'm approaching middle age status. I love cartoons and sci-fi. I live and breathe Doctor Who (which could have it's own post all together) and my wardrobe when compared to my 14 year old's is pretty much identical (all t-shirts, all movies, TV shows and bands) minus my work scrubs.

And I don't care.

It appears that my pop culture obsessions have found their way into my baking. It seems not only do I like to quote movies and TV shows incessantly, but I also name my recipes after them. See what I mean? Geek girl.

One of my favorite shows of the last few years airs on Cartoon Network and is called "Regular Show." It is beyond hysterical. It follows the misadventures of two best friends Mordecai (a blue jay) and Rigby (a racoon) as they work and live at a park. There are a smattering of other delightful characters who interact with these two and believe me, hilarity ensues. Luckily, I don't have to feel too alone in my obsession because my kids also enjoy this show and it has made it's way into our regular rotation of binge watching as well as quotable lines repeated daily.

One episode titled "Cruisin" Mordecai and Rigby are watching a movie that shows two dudes each getting a girl's phone number via "cruising" (i.e. driving around in a car and picking up on ladies). Mordecai and Rigby think they can get some digits using the same technique, only their female counterparts Margaret (a cardinal) and Eileen (a beaver) think there's no way they can get numbers from just driving around. They decide to make a bet between the four of them. If Mordecai and Rigby get a girl's phone number by cruisin' then Margaret and Eileen have to buy dinner for them. If not, the guys have to buy dinner for Margaret and Eileen. Part way through the episode, Margaret and Eileen can be seen perusing an upscale restaurant menu, teasing the boys on the price of the food they are going to order when they win the bet. Mordecai, frustrated, yells at them, "You'll fill up on bread!" Hilarious.

Now whenever I bake bread, you guessed it, my kids will quote, "You'll fill up on bread!" which also happens to be the name of my Pinterest board where I pin all of my bread recipes if you'd like to follow me.

The bread that gets the most quotes is now called my Mordecai Bread. It's so delicious and extremely easy. It's a variation of "peasant bread" recipes which derive their name from the fact that they take very few ingredients, and that there's no kneading. It's a very basic, "poor man's" bread. The best part is that only you will know how easy this bread is to make while everyone  else will think you spent hours and hours perfecting each loaf. Shhhh!

Please enjoy this recipe for my Mordecai Bread!


MORDECAI BREAD

INGREDIENTS

2 1/4 tsp dry yeast (or one package)
2 cups warm water (110 degrees)
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
4 cups all purpose flour (you could do 1/2 AP, 1/2 wheat flour)

Optional: 1 egg white or some melted butter for topping, you can also sprinkle some garlic salt over the top for a delicious garlic bread...)


INSTRUCTIONS

1. Mix the sugar and warm water together so the sugar dissolves
2. Sprinkle the yeast on top and let it sit for about 10 minutes to proof
3. Then add your salt and flour and mix until just combined. It's OK if it's a little craggy, it will just add delicious texture. Do NOT knead!
4. Let is rise in a warm place until doubled
5. After rising, separate the dough into two round lumps and place them on a greased cookie sheet. Let them rise again until doubled
6. Turn on your oven and preheat to 425 degrees
7. Once your dough has risen, this is the time to gently brush the tops with some butter or egg white and then sprinkle with garlic powder or salt.
8. Bake at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375 degrees for an additional 10-15 minutes (depending on your oven) or until golden brown.
9. You won't even need a knife--when I serve this to my hungry brood I just plop the rounds in a basket or plate and let everyone tear off big chunks for dipping in soup or olive oil and balsamic vinegar!

You will never buy bread rounds from the bakery again! I promise you!
I hope your family loves Mordecai Bread as much as we do!


No comments:

Post a Comment