Thursday, April 16, 2015

Keep It Clean

It's true. I love a clean house. It speaks to me like a calming voice. Sitting on my couch in my immaculate home has the same effect of sitting in a sauna--I feel purged. My family members don't share this disease so it's a constant struggle to compromise. One way I've discovered that helps me battle the anxiety that comes with "my version" of clean versus my family's is one thing--SMELL. My brain loves to be tricked by my olfactory system! If something SMELLS CLEAN, then in my brain, it IS clean (even when the teenager has probably just dragged a half soaked cleaning rag across the counter, only trapping about 35% of the crumbs...)

I started hoarding cleaning products that I found which appealed to me because of their scent. I used different brands and if they went on sale or on close-out, I would stockpile them. It was a little ridiculous, I'll admit. And sometimes the product didn't even clean that well, but it smelled so good that I continued to use it. Finally, it struck me--if I was going to be so picky, why didn't I just make my own cleaners? So I did.

It's really been the best thing ever! If I'm running low on cleaners, I just mix up a new batch in a few seconds. If I want to really scrub, I can mix up a large batch for an all-over deep clean. And the best part? It's so inexpensive! Most of the ingredients are things already around the house so I really feel like I'm multi-tasking. And it always smells CLEAN in my house. Using natural products and essential oils smell much more clean than perfumed chemicals from the store.

After refining my ingredients for the perfect all purpose cleaner and wood floor cleaner I was on a roll. I decided I was going to make my own laundry detergent. I started by combining a few different ideas I'd read about on Pinterest and then adding some of my own. I just made a small batch to wash a few loads of laundry to see how it worked--it was awesome. My clothes smelled amazing, my front-loading washer lost that musty smell it sometimes had after a big load of towels, and my dry skin improved as well. And it was super cheap! So I mixed up a huge batch and haven't missed store-bought detergent since!

Next up on my list? Dryer sheets! I usually bought them in bulk from Costco and by the time I got to the end of the box, it didn't seem like they worked that great. And again, I missed that "fresh-from-the-dryer" smell. Also, I wanted to continue to remove harsh chemicals from my home and getting rid of dryer sheets just seemed like the next logical step. I was maybe most skeptical about this transition because I just wasn't sure how an alternative would work. I hate static clothes, it's a pain to try and fold clothing that is sticking to everything it touches. Plus, I'd used dryer sheets since I started washing my own clothes when I was 11 years old! It's just what you do, and old habits die hard. Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised. These "dryer bags" are amazing. I will never go back to those silly sheets. These are so easy to make and my clothes smell so good all the time and NO STATIC!

Next up? Making my own dishwasher detergent. I'm still in the development stages and so far I'm not really satisfied with the results and I don't want to share my recipe until it's perfect.

Here are the tutorials! Try them in your home and you will never go back!


All Purpose Cleaner


This is great for an "everywhere" cleaner. It works for counter tops, the stove top, and any kind of tile. It cleans hand prints off the walls and is safe to use around kids and pets!

Ingredients

1 cup water
1 cup distilled white vinegar
3 tablespoons lemon juice
20 drops orange essential oil (it doesn't have to be anything fancy, I get a vial at the health food store for a few dollars)
Mix all ingredients into a labeled spray bottle and get cleaning!

Bathroom Cleaner

I like this cleaner for the bathrooms. This area is more prone to bacteria so I switch it up a bit but really, this could be used on any hard surface just like the all purpose cleaner.

Ingredients

2 cups water
4 tablespoons Dr. Bronner's Castile soap ( I use this soap religiously. It's the best)
1/2 cup white distilled white vinegar
20 drops tea tree essential oil (tea tree oil is known for it's antibacterial properties!)
Mix into a labeled spray bottle and start scrubbing!

Wood Cleaner/Dusting Spray

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons rubbing alcohol (this helps it dry fast and streak free!)
3 cups water
20 drops orange essential oil

Mix into a spray bottle and get mopping/dusting! Just know that because this cleaner has oil in it, the oil likes to float to the top of the spray bottle. You will have to shake the bottle before you use it to keep it mixed.
Doesn't have to be "Pinterest" style. Just slap a label on a bottle and you're good to go!

Laundry Detergent

This works well in my HE model front-loading washer.

2 Fels-Naptha laundry bars (found in the detergent aisle at the grocery store)
1 Kirk's Natural Castile soap bar (made with coconut oil, found in the soap aisle)

If you want to use three of the Fels-Naptha bars that will work too. I just like adding the Kirk's bar because the coconut oil in the soap adds a nice smell and helps to keep the clothes soft.

1 box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (found in the detergent aisle)
1 box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (found in the cooking aisle or the detergent aisle)
1 box 20 Mule Team Borax (found in the detergent aisle)
50+ drops of tea tree essential oil (I just shake a bunch into the powder until is smells nice)

You need to use a cheese grater to grate the soap bars (they are very soft, this doesn't take long) and then mix everything into a large bucket or container with a lid. I bought a paint bucket with a lid at Home Depot for a few dollars. Label the bucket well and use about 1/4 cup with each load. If you have an insert in your detergent cup for liquid detergent, make sure you remove that before adding your powdered detergent. Then just wash clothes as usual!

No fancy container needed, just mix and you're done!


Dryer Bags

These take a smidgen more effort than the cleaners but they are well worth it. Find a old tube sock (I know you have one floating around your house that has lost its mate to the sock gremlin!) or pick up a few cheap ones from the dollar store. Cut off the top tube part and throw the foot part away. 
Sew one side of the sock tube to make an open pouch (I used my sewing machine, but really, with good thread you could sew this by hand very easily). Fill the pouch with a 50/50 mix of dried flowers and flax seed depending on how big your sock is. The flax seed is to keep it weighted down so that it acts as a fabric softener and also gets rid of static!

I had an old kid sock laying around so I was able to fit about 1/4 cup of each ingredient into my sock pouch. I used dried lavender because I love the smell and it's very easy to find and pretty cheap (just picked up a bag from the health food store but some grocery stores are carrying it in the potpourri and candle aisle!) but you could experiment with all kinds of dried flowers or herbs (rosemary and mint would be nice, or eucalyptus.....the possibilities are endless!) Once you have your little sock filled, just sew the other end! I also added lavender essential oil to my pouch, about 20 drops to make it smell really good! 
Voila! Toss the bags into your dryer with every load and behold the majesty of your craftiness! Your clothes will smell wonderful and no more buying chemical-laden dryer sheets!

Aren't they cute???

Spring Cleaning is just around the corner! These tricks will have your chores done and your house sparkling in no time! ENJOY!










No comments:

Post a Comment